To Download EXAMINATION NOTICE OF UPSC (IAS) Civil Services Pre (P) Examination 2013
Instructions for filling Online Application Form
- Candidates applying for Civil Services Examination or Indian Forest Service Examination or both will have to fill in this common Application Form.
- Applicants are advised to go through the common reasons on account of which online applications may be rejected by the Commission. These may be carefully noted so that chances of application being rejected are minimized to the best possible extent.
- The Experience of Commission (UPSC) shows that major rejections happen due to the following reasons.
(c) Application being rejected on the grounds of swapping of photograph with that of signature. Sample 1
(d) Application rejected due to submission of photograph only, i.e no signature submitted or photograph submitted at the place of signature as well. Sample 1
(e) Application rejected due to submission of signature only, i.e no photograph submitted or signature submitted at the place of photograph as well. Sample 1
(f) Only PART-I of the application being submitted to the Commission and not submitting PART-II. This renders the application as incomplete. Sample 1
(h) Applicant submitted PART-I and paid fee as well, but did/could not complete PART-II i.e. failed to submit photograph and signature. Sample1
(i) Application being rejected on the grounds of non submission of payment proof to the Commission within specified time in case of fictitious payment ***cases (which are intimated to the applicant through e-mail as well as published on the website of the Commission within 2 weeks after the last date of receipt of online application).
(j) Candidate may click here to download exhaustive samples of rejected applications (.pdf) in .ZIP Format
(k) For the sake of guidance to the applicants, one sample application form, complete in all respects has been provided here, please click here to download.
* RID is Registration ID, which is generated by the system when the applicant completes PART-I registration of his application.
** TID is Transaction ID, which is given by Bank official when the applications deposits his/her fee through cash mode and it is automatically generated when Internet Banking or credit/debit card mode is used for making the fee payment.
***Fictitious payment cases are those cases for which the Commission does not receive any information from the bank authorities to which the applicant has claimed to have deposited his/her fees.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILLING ONLINE APPLICATION FORM for Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination 2013
- Log on to http://www.upsconline.nic.in/ to access the home page of the ONLINE APPLICATION.
- Click on “Online application for various examinations of UPSC”.
- Before filling up the form candidates are advised to carefully go through the detailed Notice No 04/2013-CSP for Civil Services and /or? No??? /2013-IFS for Indian Forest Services as the case may be, which is available in the “Examination Notice” submenu of the “Guidelines to the Candidates” menu.
- Place the mouse over the ‘Examination’ menu. The link would display a set of two options namely “PART-I Registration” and “PART-II Registration”.
- Clicking on ” PART-I Registration” link would take you to the list of all the active examinations, where you can select to apply for any of the listed examination by clicking on the link “Click Here” against each exam.
- Clicking on “PART-II Registration” would take you to the second part of the online application, which we will discuss later in these instructions.
- When the candidate clicks on Click Here link for the particular examination (as indicated in step 4) he will be redirected to a new page for entering into PART-I Registration of Online Application.
- Click on the Continue button to proceed for the PART-I Registration. Clicking on ‘Continue’ button opens-up a fresh blank form for the PART-I Registration. Candidate has to fill all details as required in the form. Fields with red STAR (*) marks are mandatory and essential to be filled in by the candidate. Fields which are not marked as red STAR (*) are not mandatory. Below every field clear instructions for filling up are written which should be carefully read and strictly followed by the candidates while filling up the form.
- Candidates are advised to correctly indicate their graduate stream as required on the form using the dropdown menu. It may be noted that to be eligible for the Indian Forest Sevice (Main) Examination the candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree with at least one of the subjects namely Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics and Zoology or a Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Forestry or in Engineering. Hence the option to be considered for the Forest Service (Main) examination would be shown only to candidates who indicate their graduation in any of these streams/subjects . In case the candidate is eligible for IFS, he is required to select Optional Subjects available on third page only for statistical purposes. The candidate will, however, be permitted to change his Optional Subjects at time of filling of Detailed Application Form . If a candidate is a graduate from any other stream other than the subjects mentioned above ,the candidate is required to select “OTHERS” or “Literature” (as the case may be) in the relevant dropdown menu . In such a case he would be eligible to be considered for the Civil Services (Main) examination only. It may be noted that a candidate graduating in any of the streams which make him eligible for the Indian Forest Service examination, is also eligible to apply for the Civil Service examination.
- Candidates are requested to ensure that they are eligible for both the services before opting for ‘BOTH’ on the form.
- In case of Civil Services examination, if a candidate is a graduate in Literature of any of the Languages indicated in the dropdown menu, he would be required to select the Literature subject from the relevant dropdown menu .In such a case he would be eligible to opt for either the Literature in that subject as his optional subject or any of the other optional subjects available in Group 1 as an optional subject in the Civil Services (Main) examination. In all other cases, he can only opt for any of the subjects indicated in Group 1 as his optional subject for the Civil Services (Main) examination. Candidates would however be required to indicate their optional subject for the Civil Services (Main) examination, only at the time of applying for the Civil Services Main examination.
- Candidates may note that SC, ST, Physically Challenged and Women candidates are not required to pay fee. When the candidates choose “Female” in Gender field; Yes in “Physically Challenged” field; ST or SC in “Community” field; “YES” response is automatically indicated in the “fee remission claimed” field by default which is not required to be changed. These candidates will not be taken through the “fee payment details page” where the candidates are supposed to fill in the Payment Details while filling up Part-II of the Online Application.]
- Click on “Continue” button at bottom of the page to go to the next page.
- The system asks if the candidate wishes to apply for ‘Age Relaxation’. The candidate will be given the option to select the category under which he/she is applying for age relaxation. (Candidates are advised to refer to the detailed Notice No. 04/2013-CSP which is available in the website www.upsconline.nic.in for details on the age relaxation categories and quantum of relaxation.
- The system asks for the % age of marks obtained at the Graduation Level . This information is for statistical purposes only. In cases where grades/CGPA are awarded by the University, the equivalent percentage of marks ,as per University guidelines, may be filled . In cases where there are no guidelines on this issue, the indicative percentage of marks may be calculated based on the CGPA . For example, if a candidate obtained a CGPA of 7.0 out of 10, then the percentage may be filled as 70% .
- The system displays all the information provided by the candidate in the application form for verification. ‘Update’ button is also provided therein at the bottom of the Online Application details to move back and make any correction in the information filled in. The candidates are advised to check the filled in details and satisfy themselves that all information is correctly filled up. No change in information filled in by the candidates would be allowed at any subsequent stage of the examination process.
- Declaration box: At the bottom of the page there is a ‘Declaration’ for the candidates. Candidates are advised to go through the contents of the Declaration carefully. Candidate has the option to either agree or disagree with the contents of Declaration by clicking on ‘I Agree’ or ‘I Do Not Agree’ buttons. In case the candidate opts to disagree, the application will be dropped and the procedure will be terminated. Accepting to agree only will submit the candidate’s Online Application, and the Part-I data submitted would be saved and a Registration Id generated for the candidate.
- 18. The system displays the system generated unique ‘Registration ID’ along with the essential identification information about the candidate viz. ‘Name’, ‘Father’s Name’, ‘Mother’s name’, ‘DOB’, ‘Address’, ‘Examination Centre’ etc. opted by the candidate. The candidate is also intimated that he has completed PART-I of the Registration of Online Application procedure. The candidates may however note that Application would be treated as incomplete and rejected unless accompanied with Part-II Registration.
- 19. Here PART-I of the Online Application procedure is completed. A candidate has to complete the PART-II Registration for the successful Online Application submission.
[CANDIDATES ARE ADVISED TO TAKE A PRINT OF THIS PAGE BY CLICKING ON THE "Print" OPTION AVAILABLE BELOW NOTE-2 THEREIN. THEY WILL BE REQUIRED TO INPUT THEIR REGISTRATION ID and DOB at subsequent stages.
CANDIDATES OPTING TO DEPOSIT FEE IN CASH ARE ADVISED TO TAKE PRINT OF PAY-IN SLIP BY USING THE OPTION "Print Bank Pay-in-Slip". Using this pay-in slip, they can deposit the fee in cash at any branch of STATE BANK OF INDIA. The Bank will not accept any other pay-in slip or challan than the one printed through the "Print Bank Pay-in-Slip" OPTION of this Online Application. After receipt of cash, the Bank would stamp the pay-in-slip and also provide a "TRANSACTION ID". The candidate would have to log in again and proceed with PART-II Registration process.
NB : FEE EXEMPTED CATEGORY CANDIDATES; CANDIDATES OPTING TO DEPOSIT FEE THROUGH VISA/MASTER CREDIT/DEBIT CARD OR BY USING INTERNET BANKING FACILITY OF STATE BANK OF INDIA AND ITS ASSOCIATE BANKS i.e. STATE BANK OF BIKANER & JAIPUR/STATE BANK OF HYDERABAD/STATE BANK OF MYSORE/STATE BANK OF PATIALA/STATE BANK OF TRAVANCORE CAN STRAIGHTAWAY PROCEED TO COMPLETE PART-II REGISTRATION BY CLICKING ON THE LINK "PART-II Registration" AT THE BOTTOM OF PAGE 5.]
PART-II REGISTRATION COMPRISES FOUR STEPS:-
- UPLOADING OF PHOTOGRAPH
- UPLOADING OF SIGNATURE
- FEE PAYMENT
- EXAMINATION CENTRE HAS TO BE CHOSEN FROM THE AVAILABLE DROP DOWN MENU.
FOR FEE PAYMENT CANDIDATES HAVE THREE OPTIONS:-
- THEY CAN PAY CASH AT ANY BRANCH OF STATE BANK OF INDIA THROUGH THE PAY-IN-SLIP GENERATED BY THE ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS.
- THEY CAN PAY ONLINE USING THE INTERNET BANKING FACILITY OF THE STATE BANK OF INDIA/STATE BANK OF BIKANER & JAIPUR/STATE BANK OF HYDERABAD/STATE BANK OF MYSORE/STATE BANK OF PATIALA/ STATE BANK OF TRAVANCORE IF THEY ARE CUSTOMERS OF THESE BANKS AND HAVING THEIR INTERNET BANKING FACILITY.
- THEY CAN PAY ONLINE USING ANY VISA/MASTER DEBIT OR CREDIT CARD ISSUED BY ANY BANK/INSTITUTION.
N.B. THE ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS DOES NOT TAKE THE FEE EXEMPT CATEGORY CANDIDATES (i.e. SC, ST, PH and Female CANDIDATES) THROUGH THE FEE PAYMENT AND FEE DETAILS SUBMISSION STEPS AND AFTER FILLING UP PART I REGISTRATION THEY CAN STRAIGHTAWAY PROCEED TO PART-II REGISTRATION BY USING THE LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF LAST PAGE OF THE PART-I REGISTRATION.
BEFORE PROCEEDING TO FILL IN PART – II REGISTRATION CANDIDATES MUST ENSURE:
- That if paying through cash at SBI, they have paid the requisite fee at any branches of the SBI and obtained TRANSACTION ID. In the other two online modes of payments, Transaction ID is generated and filled in automatically.
- That they have scanned images of their photograph and signature # in .jpg format, each of which should not exceed 40 KB in size and must not be less than 3 KB in size for the photograph and 1 KB in size for the signature.
- 3. Each of the scanned images of the photograph/signature should not exceed 40 KB in size (for photograph, the pixel size is 140 pixels height x 110 pixels width and for signature it should be 110 pixels height x 140 pixels width) and also to be ensured that the uploaded photograph/signature are proper.
# The candidate should scan his signature, which has been put on white paper with Black Ink pen.
[Candidates using MSWindow/MSOffice can easily obtain photo and signature in .jpg format not exceeding 40KB by using MSPaint or MSOffice Picture Manager. Scanned photograph and signature (scan at 200 dpi) can be saved in .jpg format by using 'Save As' option in the File menu and size can be reduced to desired size by using crop and then resize option (please see point 3 above for the pixel sizes) in the 'Image' menu. Similar options are available in other photo editor also.]
Part II Registration
If you have logged out after completing Part-I Registration, go through the following steps for Part-II Registration:
- Log on to http://www.upsconline.nic.in/.
2 . Place the mouse over the ‘Examination’ menu. The link would display a set of two options namely “PART-I Registration” and “PART-II Registration”.
3 . Click on Part-II Registration.
4 . In the dialog box which opens up, fill in your REGISTRATION Id and Date of Birth (DOB) and then press SUBMIT button.
Payment of Examination Fees online
- A fresh page opens up indicating your Registration Id and showing three options of payments, viz, “Pay by Cash”; “Pay by Card” and “Pay by Net Banking” each option accompanied with a radio button.
- Click on the radio button corresponding to the choice of your payment and then click on CONTINUE.
- If paying by cash, fresh window opens wherein TRANSACTION Id given by the State Bank of India and Date of Transaction is to be filled in. The TRANSACTION Id given by the BANK is to be a SEVEN OR EIGHT DIGIT NUMERIC CHARACTER, which is to be filled in the Transaction-Id field.
- Considering the All India spread of the SBI there is a possibility of writing of Transaction ID on the Pay-in-slip by the bank staff variously as TId – 0012121212 OR J – 0012121212 OR 0012121212 etc. if in eight digits OR AS TId – 001212121 OR J – 001212121 OR 001212121 etc if in seven digits. CANDIDATES ARE REQUESTED TO FILL IN ONLY THE LAST 7 OR 8 DIGITS AS THE CASE MAY BE, DROPPING OUT ANY ALPHABET, SPECIAL CHARACTER OR PREFIXED ZEROES. In above two cases fill in Transaction Id as 12121212 OR 1212121.
- After filling in Transaction Id and Date of Transaction Click CONTINUE. A fresh page opens indicating payment details filled in. After verification Click SUBMIT. Fresh page opens intimating submission of payment details and prompting to PROCEED to complete uploading of Photo and Signature.
- Candidates opting to pay through Visa/Master Credit/Debit card or STATE BANK OF INDIA/STATE BANK OF BIKANER & JAIPUR/STATE BANK OF HYDERABAD/STATE BANK OF MYSORE/STATE BANK OF PATIALA/STATE BANK OF TRAVANCORE Internet Banking facility would be directed to their respective sites and after completing payment process would be directed back intimating payment details and prompted to PROCEED to complete uploading of Photo and Signature.
Note: If the candidate has opted for the fee remission in the PART-I Registration these payment option and pages will not be shown to him and he will be directed to the photograph & signature specimen uploading page.
Uploading of Photographs and Specimen Signatures
- Here the candidate is required to upload the images of recent Photograph and Signature Specimen. Images to be uploaded should be only in .jpg format of size not exceeding 40 KB each and must not be less than 3 KB in size for the photograph and 1 KB for the signature.
- After uploading a fresh page shows the preview of the uploaded images by the candidate. Here the candidate is advised to see his/her uploaded photograph that the photograph is clearly visible/identifiable in the upper row and the specimen signature in the lower row. In no case these rows should be swapped and uploaded photograph and specimen signature must be clearly identifiable / visible, otherwise the candidature of the candidate is liable to be cancelled by the commission and no representation from the candidate will be entertained by the commission regarding any change for the wrong data uploaded /filled up by the candidate. If the candidate is satisfied with the uploaded images he may CONFIRM the uploading of photograph and signature by clicking on Confirm Upload button. If by any reason uploaded images are not up to the mark then the candidate can RELOAD these images by clicking on the Reload Photograph and/or Reload Signature button. They can view reloaded Photograph/signature by clicking on “Image refresh” button. The software will not save photograph and signature of the candidate unless he confirms the upload by clicking on Confirm Upload button.
3. Candidates should satisfy themselves about the quality of photograph & signature files upload. Applications having poor quality photo or signature files are liable to be rejected.
Viewing the Completed Application and taking a Hardcopy Printout
- 1. In a fresh page the candidate is intimated that his application has been submitted successfully. This page has also a link to view the complete application. Candidates are advised to printout his complete application right after they complete the application process.
- To view the application submitted by the candidate a link View/Print Application is also given on the home page.
LAST DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS :
Online Application process must be completed (including filling up of Part-I and Part-II of the Form) before 11:59 P.M of 1st April, 2013 after which the web-link will be disabled.